Monday, June 9, 2008

Staging: Staged.

Staging ended today. I am an official Peace Corps Trainee. I don't know any more Swahili, but I'm pretty confident that the taxpayers will provide enough for some decent training. Word on PC Avenue is that training is physically exhaustive... 8AM - 6PM, six days a week. They came through with the PC concept of "walk around money," or as I have come to call it, "beer money." DC has been awesome!!

Turns out that the first obstacle has already risen for me. As I was registering yesterday (the first thing PCVs do with the PC), the first woman in the gamut of workers recognized my name and said, "Ohhh... you're Andrew."
"Yyyeahh..." I respond.
"You're a special situation."
"Uhh... okay."
"Haha, you look nervous."
"I'm having trouble with the standard situation. I don't know how I'm going to handle any special situations."
After a good laugh (read, she laughing and myself with a halfhearted grin on my face), she explained that I wouldn't be flying with all of the other volunteers when we head out tomorrow. Instead, I'll be getting a later flight and meeting them in Zurich after they have a layover in Frankfurt... definitely a plus for your's truly. I get to hang out in the hotel an extra two hours and, coincidentally, this allows me to pick up the package that was overnighted to me since I left my camera at the homestead. It just goes to show you that half of everything you do is luck and the other half is how you look while doing it. Turns out I'm damned lucky and damned good looking.

Until I get the official wording of the PC disclaimer, this one will have to do:
This blog is my personal work and does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the Peace Corps.

Now I'm immune, right? Maybe... but not as immune as I'll be tomorrow morning when I get vaccinated. Au revior!

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Bon voyage, Andrew!

Love, Aunt Nancy and Uncle Didier

Sarah said...

Hope everything is still going well Drew. I miss you so much!! *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Hey, I had no idea you got this started. Are you internet capable while in training? I noticed that I got poked on Facebook and you confirmed Philly's friend request.

Let me know via here, Facebook, or Letter when you have an address that stuff can be sent to. Philly and I already have a few ideas for the first package (insert maniacal laughter here) Don't worry, nothing corruptable to yourself or villagers...just some stuff to make you miss home and all...

We definately miss you here, I hope everything is going well. I'll get started on the first package today since I know you're up and running.